I don’t know about you, but when the weather is cold and blustery, I like to serve something exotic to make my family forget their blues and “visit” someplace foreign…at least for dinner. The La Honda Country Market has quite a selection of exotic foods that are easy to prepare. So recently we feasted on Middle Eastern delicacies: olives, hummus, falafel, couscous and pita bread. Ahhhhh. I felt warm all over.
- 1 box of falafel mix
- 1 box of couscous mix
- 1 tub of hummus dip (the store has three varieties in the refrigerated case)
- 1 bag of either pita bread or Naan bread (cut Naan bread in half or quarters and wrap around falafel patties)
- 1-2 diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce (1/2 head)
- 1 diced bell pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- Easiest recipe ever. Follow the instructions on the boxes of falafel mix and couscous. Make small patties or balls of falafels so they fit inside the pita bread more easily.
- Eat some olives while you are cooking, and put them out as appetizers.
- Gently split open the pita or Naan bread to form a pocket.
- Open the tub of hummus and spread a thin layer inside one side of the pita bread.
- Add two spoonfuls of couscous and 2-3 tiny falafel patties inside the pita, then sprinkle tomatoes, peppers, lettuce in too. Add any kind of hot sauce if you like it hot.
THAT’S ALL IT TAKES. Julienne veggies such as celery, carrots, bell peppers, etc. to dip in the extra hummus. You can also leave the couscous out of the pita and serve it as a side dish. Enjoy.