I used to hate making enchiladas. Loved consuming them, hated trying to get them out of the baking dish to serve. What a mess. Talk about lousy presentation on the plate! Until I discovered how easy it is to assemble a combo plate complete with enchilada, rice and beans and then pop it into the microwave. Delicious, easy, perfectly cooked and no messy pans to clean up!
- 4 small to medium tortillas (corn or flour)
- 2 cups cooked chopped meat (love roasted pork or chicken especially)
- 1 package shredded cheese (Mexican mix, Monterey Jack, or Cheddar are great)
- 1 large can or two small cans of enchilada sauce (red or green whichever you like)
- 1 can of pinto or black beans (I’ve even used kidney beans in a pinch)
- 2 cups cooked rice (it can even be cold because you’ll heat it in the microwave)
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave, or in a frying pan on the stove on medium heat, for 30 seconds or less, just until pliable.
- Lay the tortilla flat on a dinner plate. Place ¼ of the meat mixture and a sprinkling of cheese on the tortilla and add a dash of enchilada sauce to taste. Roll it up and place the seam side down on one side of the plate. Carefully and slowly pour a bit of enchilada sauce over the rolled up tortilla and sprinkle it generously with cheese.
- Add a scoop of rice and ¼ of the beans on either side of the enchilada, sprinkle those with cheese as well, and place in the microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes until the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve the first combo plate to the first person and start on the next one. For four plates this only takes a few minutes. Or you can assemble all four plates before dinner and just pop them into the microwave in a serial fashion when ready. And the best part is that it’s so easy to do you’ll put enchiladas on your regular list for dinner instead of saving them for special occasions.
- You can also add a green salad in the empty space on the plate (there always seems to be one with this dish) and you’ve kicked it up a notch. Just remember NOT to put the salad on the plate until AFTER you take it out of the microwave.